Friday 21 February 2014

Hands off cocks and onto socks!


Hands off cocks and on to socks!


I have been living on the island now for two years, during this time I have become increasingly more interested in our feathered friends. I can often be found wandering around the island looking skyward or scrawling down a sighting or behavior in my trusty notebook.

Recently, I spotted a raptor on the island, in my inexperience I was unsure at first which bird I was even looking at. However, once I witnessed the tell-tale “wind-hovering” I was in no doubt, I was looking at a kestrel. I was personally surprised as I had never heard before of kestrels at the seaside.

I have since watched both male and female hunting on the same patch around Nell’s point above the Clements Colley path, normally after dawn or before dusk, on many occasions. I sat for a whole hour one evening watching the male kestrel hunting. I am totally mesmerised by their grace and skill and in total awe of how excellent their eyesight must be.

Also, I am shocked by how these birds in particular don’t seem at all bothered by the fact it is very busy with people in particular dog walkers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment