Tuesday 26 May 2015

"Hay you're part of it!"

Had the absolute pleasure of being asked to volunteer at the hay festival of literature last weekend, with RSPB Cymru. 


I had been for the day to hay the previous year, but this year I would be staying up there and working three days.

I was doing the black grouse whiskey raffle and selling RSPB pin badges for two days and then doing pond dipping, making bug hotels and mini beasts hunting with kids for one day.


The b&b I was staying in was super quaint and just run by one old dear, she cooked a mean veggie breakko too. 


There was an awesome print of a goshawk in the breakfast room so I knew I would feel at home.


Hay itself is genuinely one of the most beautiful towns I have ever visited, lush river, a cool castle, loads of book shops and curio shops, and all surrounded by stunning scenery. 


I was excited to try and walk a bit at least of the offa's dyke footpath, the ancient border between Wales and England. 


The festival itself although what's actually on is all a but highbrow for my working class taste, the way it's setup is amazing. It's like a little festival village, all under cover with walkways and art, food, cafes, bars and exhibition spaces so cleverly done. 


There is always something interesting going on and always a bit of celeb spotting to be done. This year I saw Leanne wood, Sarah Lancaster, mark Watson and Vanessa feltz all pass the stand. 

I got out for a few little walks in the evening along the river on the offa's dyke path and had a really memorable evening sat with a bottle of wine watching 20-30 bats catching bugs by the river. 


I also got to buy the new book by my fave author Neil gaiman, I'm a bit gutted I can't get to his talk this coming weekend up there though. 


I will definitely be heading back to hay soon for a weekend when the festival isn't on for a good explore. 


After the three days we had raised £1000 for the charity and signed up over 50 new members pretty awesome. Home feeling tired, but well being fully restored.


No comments:

Post a Comment